Washington’s Venezuelan Oil Push Falters on Funding Questions

A week after President Donald Trump’s bold talk about U.S. oil majors “going in and spending billions” to revive Venezuela’s wrecked crude industry, the administration is now walking back the idea of direct U.S. cash backing for that effort, even as it convenes a who’s-who of energy executives at the White House.

Earlier in the week, Trump publicly portrayed Venezuela’s reopening to Western oil investment as a near-done deal, framing multi-billion-dollar capital commitments by firms like Chevron, ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips as imminent and implicitly supported by Washington. That messaging fed speculation that the U.S. might underwrite some of the cost or provide hefty financial guarantees to blunt the risk of investing in a politically volatile Caracas.

But on Friday, Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, who also leads the White House’s National Energy Dominance Council, put a pin in the subsidy angle: the administration doesn’t plan to hand out taxpayer funds to underwrite oil sector rebuilding in Venezuela. Burgum said the cash needs, which are widely estimated in the tens of billions over the coming decade, will have to come from the companies themselves and the capital markets, with the U.S. offering security and a stable operating environment rather than checks.

Energy Secretary Chris Wright echoed that sentiment on television, noting that institutions like the U.S. Export-Import Bank could offer credit support, but so far companies haven’t asked for direct money.

This isn’t a smoking gun reversal. It’s more of a shift in emphasis. Earlier in the week, President Trump implied that the government might backstop investment or reimburse majors as they rebuild Venezuelan output, adding that they may also recoup through their own revenue streams instead. But by today, senior officials were explicitly dampening expectations of that sort of fiscal risk-sharing In other words, private capital must carry the load.

This afternoon, the White House is hosting a high-level meeting with a broad swath of the global oil industry to talk about all this in real time. Expected attendees include U.S. and international players such as Chevron, ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Continental Resources, Halliburton, HKN Energy, Valero, Marathon, Shell, Trafigura, Vitol, Repsol, Eni, Aspect Holdings, Tallgrass, Raisa Energy, and Hilcorp. Administration officials slated to participate include Burgum, Wright and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

Chevron is the only major U.S. producer still operating in Venezuela under a special license; ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips walked away in the 2000s after nationalization of foreign assets. Their willingness to commit capital now hinges on strong legal, political, and financial guarantees from Washington—something industry leaders have publicly said they need before plowing money into a country with decades of instability and expropriation risk.

Venezuela still sits on some of the largest proven oil reserves in the world. If output could return to its former levels, it would reshape global crude markets and bring down already low prices. Unfortunately, it is a tough road ahead as decades of neglect and dilapidated infrastructure add to the significant political risk. This means it certainly won’t be a quick fix. And with the U.S. simultaneously seizing sanctioned tankers and asserting control over Venezuelan crude sales, the geopolitical stakes are high. Current oil prices are also not in any position to entice Western majors to invest in more.

A real revival would have to be financed by private capital under whatever guarantees Washington can muster. Today’s White House powwow is where that message gets tested face-to-face with the industry players who’d have to write the checks.

By Julianne Geiger for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com

 

  • Related Posts

    China’s Teapots Look Beyond Iranian Oil amid U.S. Blockade

    China’s refiners have imported lower volumes of Iranian crude in August compared to July as the U.S. blockade reinstated in mid-July is squeezing crude supply to Iran’s top oil customer. …

    Ukrainian Drone Attack Hits Lukoil Refinery Deep in Russia 

    Ukraine overnight hit with drones an oil refinery in the Perm region, deep into Russian territory, as the Ukrainian military has been targeting Russia’s oil processing and exporting facilities on…

    Have You Seen?

    Iranian Oil Supply to China Is Rapidly Drying Up

    • August 21, 2026
    Iranian Oil Supply to China Is Rapidly Drying Up

    Nigeria Eyes $50 Billion Offshore Oil and Gas Investment Boom

    • August 21, 2026
    Nigeria Eyes $50 Billion Offshore Oil and Gas Investment Boom

    East African Nations Offered 30% Share of Dangote’s Kenya Mega-Refinery

    • August 21, 2026
    East African Nations Offered 30% Share of Dangote’s Kenya Mega-Refinery

    Saudi Oil Exports from Mediterranean Soar with Shuttles North to Avoid Houthis

    • August 21, 2026
    Saudi Oil Exports from Mediterranean Soar with Shuttles North to Avoid Houthis

    Ukrainian Drone Attack Hits Lukoil Refinery Deep in Russia 

    • August 21, 2026
    Ukrainian Drone Attack Hits Lukoil Refinery Deep in Russia 

    China’s Teapots Look Beyond Iranian Oil amid U.S. Blockade

    • August 21, 2026
    China’s Teapots Look Beyond Iranian Oil amid U.S. Blockade

    Court Upholds Trump Admin Order to Restart SYU

    • August 21, 2026
    Court Upholds Trump Admin Order to Restart SYU

    Whisky waste-to-biomethane plant to meet 4% of Scotland’s gas demand

    • August 21, 2026
    Whisky waste-to-biomethane plant to meet 4% of Scotland’s gas demand

    CCS projects could put pressure on US Midwest CO2 supply

    • August 21, 2026
    CCS projects could put pressure on US Midwest CO2 supply

    CO2 tightness hits US Southeast as brewers halt production

    • August 21, 2026
    CO2 tightness hits US Southeast as brewers halt production