Phillips 66 Closely Monitoring California Fires

Phillips 66 is closely monitoring the fires in Southern California, a company spokesperson told Rigzone late Thursday.

“There are currently no disruptions to operations, and Phillips 66 is actively taking steps to minimize any potential disruptions,” the spokesperson added.

“The safety and well-being of our employees remain our top priority, and we are actively taking steps to ensure their safety,” the spokesperson continued.

Phillips 66 has a refinery that “consists of two facilities linked by pipeline located five miles apart in Carson and Wilmington, California, approximately 15 miles southeast of Los Angeles”, the company’s site shows. Total throughput at the asset is 165,000 barrels per day, according to the site.  

In a release posted on its website in October last year, Phillips 66 announced plans to cease operations at its Los Angeles-area refinery in the fourth quarter of 2025. Approximately 600 employees and 300 contractors currently operate the Los Angeles-area refinery, the company noted in the release.

“We understand this decision has an impact on our employees, contractors, and the broader community,” Mark Lashier, chairman and CEO of Phillips 66, said in the release.

“We will work to help and support them through this transition,” he added.

“With the long-term sustainability of our Los Angeles Refinery uncertain and affected by market dynamics, we are working with leading land development firms to evaluate the future use of our unique and strategically located properties near the Port of Los Angeles,” he continued.

“Phillips 66 remains committed to serving California and will continue to take the necessary steps to meet our commercial and customer demands,” Lashier went on to state.

In a media advisory sent to Rigzone late Thursday by the AccuWeather team, the company said “fires continue to rage across Southern California”. It added that it has updated and increased its preliminary estimate of the total damage and economic loss to between $135 billion and $150 billion.  

“These fast-moving, wind-driven infernos have created one of the costliest wildfire disasters in modern U.S. history,” AccuWeather Chief Meteorologist Jonathan Porter said in the advisory.

“Hurricane-force winds sent flames ripping through neighborhoods filled with multi-million-dollar homes. The devastation left behind is heartbreaking and the economic toll is staggering,” he added.

“To put this into perspective, the total damage and economic loss from this wildfire disaster could reach nearly four percent of the annual GDP of the state of California,” Porter went on to state.

AccuWeather experts say the estimate for total damage and economic loss may be revised upward, the advisory warned.

“To put this wildfire disaster into further context, the AccuWeather estimate for the total damage and economic loss from the wildfires in Maui in 2023 was $13-$16 billion,” the advisory stated.

“The wildfires in the western United States in 2020 was $130-$150 billion and in 2021 was $70-$90 billion. More recently, the hurricanes that impacted the U.S., including Milton, which caused $160-180 billion and Helene, which caused $225-$250 billion, and the 2024 hurricane season as a whole reached nearly a half-trillion dollars,” it added.

In a media advisory sent to Rigzone by the AccuWeather team late Wednesday, AccuWeather said its preliminary estimate of the total damage and economic loss “from the devastating wildfires burning in Southern California, and endangering and disrupting lives, is $52-$57 billion”.  

“This is already one of the worst wildfires in California history,” Porter said in that advisory.

“Should a large number of additional structures be burned in the coming days, it may become the worst wildfire in modern California history based on the number of structures burned and economic loss,” he added. 

To contact the author, email 

 

  • Related Posts

    Asia’s Major LNG Importers Japan and Korea Turn to Coal

    Spiking LNG prices and reduced supply from the Middle East have prompted Japan and South Korea to raise coal power generation and coal imports in recent weeks. Gas-fired power generation…

    Qatar Asks Vessels at Key LNG Port To Go Dark for Safety

    Qatar has requested LNG vessels near its Ras Laffan LNG port to switch off their transponders as part of safety measures at the key export port of the world’s second-largest…

    Have You Seen?

    US Government’s Energy Arm Assumes Strait of Hormuz Will Stay Shut Through Late May

    • May 12, 2026
    US Government’s Energy Arm Assumes Strait of Hormuz Will Stay Shut Through Late May

    US Power Use to Beat Record Highs in 2026 and 2027 as AI Use Surges, EIA Says

    • May 12, 2026
    US Power Use to Beat Record Highs in 2026 and 2027 as AI Use Surges, EIA Says

    Asia’s Major LNG Importers Japan and Korea Turn to Coal

    • May 12, 2026
    Asia’s Major LNG Importers Japan and Korea Turn to Coal

    Brazil’s Oil Exports to China Double as Iran War Upends Crude Flows

    • May 12, 2026
    Brazil’s Oil Exports to China Double as Iran War Upends Crude Flows

    Qatar Asks Vessels at Key LNG Port To Go Dark for Safety

    • May 12, 2026
    Qatar Asks Vessels at Key LNG Port To Go Dark for Safety

    Analysis: Counting the costs of the Middle East crisis

    • May 12, 2026
    Analysis: Counting the costs of the Middle East crisis

    LanzaTech to develop ‘Europe’s first’ ethanol-based SAF facility in Belgium

    • May 12, 2026
    LanzaTech to develop ‘Europe’s first’ ethanol-based SAF facility in Belgium

    Nikkiso signs long-term marine service agreement with Maran Tankers

    • May 12, 2026
    Nikkiso signs long-term marine service agreement with Maran Tankers

    ISS Recommends Shareholders Vote Against Exxon Moving its Registration to Texas

    • May 12, 2026
    ISS Recommends Shareholders Vote Against Exxon Moving its Registration to Texas

    A Trump-Xi Deal Could Revive US Energy Exports to China

    • May 12, 2026
    A Trump-Xi Deal Could Revive US Energy Exports to China